Monday, December 20, 2010

Our Christmas Cat

Everyone who knows me knows that I’ve been a Golden Retriever lover for over 40 years. I’ve had dogs my whole life but never a cat. That changed this spring.

Last fall there was a stray cat hanging around my birdfeeders and I felt sorry for her. So, I started feeding her. She stayed around and this spring she showed up one day with a tiny gray tiger kitten. As the kitten grew it became more and more friendly and soon it was following us into the house. The mother still allows me to feed her but won’t let me touch her.

Eventually the kitten became Tigger and moved in. I quickly changed my mind on cats. The dang thing is more darn fun. My old golden Kate even gets along with her.

Saturday we decided to put up the Christmas tree. We were stringing lights when the tree began to shake and rock back and forth and there was Tigger climbing up the center of it. We kept decorating and removed Tigger from the tree and finally finished.

Within half an hour, Tigger had managed to remove every ornament between the floor and the first three feet of the tree. Most were broken and some just batted around until they ended up under something where she left them alone. Then she began scaling the tree again to get the rest of them.

We decided to have a minimalist tree this year. All it has on it is an angel at the very top, and a cat that lounges in the branches at mid-tree. She keeps trying to get up high enough to get the angel but for now, she hasn’t succeeded. I’m not giving odds on the safety of the angel though. Actually the tree looks kind of nice au natural and Tigger seems very happy with her new jungle gym.

Merry Christmas

post by: Dan Bomkamp

1 comment:

Unknown said...

GREAT Story! We've learned that the bottom half of the tree is trimmed with unbreakables :-)

Merry Christmas