Monday, April 26, 2010

Turkey Blinds

For years I resisted the temptation to buy a portable turkey blind. I couldn’t get it through my mind that a turkey wouldn’t see that big thing sitting in his woods and run for the hills. Many other hunters told me I was wrong and finally I relented and bought my own blind.

One of the reasons that convinced me was that I usually take my foreign exchange students turkey hunting and no matter how many times I tell them that they have to sit perfectly still….they move and spook the turkey. It’s happened more times than I can count. The other reason is that a blind lets you sit on a stool, which is nice for an old guy like me who has bad knees and needs a crane to get me back up after I’ve been sitting on the ground for a while.

I became a believer the first time we used the blind. A hen walked up close enough that we could have reached out and grabbed her by the neck. And later a Tom came up to our decoy without a second glance at the blind.

They keep you dry on a rainy day, and keep you warm on a cold morning, but most of all they let you get away with a bit of movement so you can get your gun into position for that Tom. Check them out they’re another toy for big boys who call themselves turkey hunters.

Dan Bomkamp - Author & Host of "How's Fishing"
 


Mossy Oak Properties of Wisconsin is the premier brokerage for hunting land in Southwest Wisconsin.  Try our record-setting service for free with no obligation to buy.  http://www.southwest-wi-hunting-land.com/

No comments: